Re: kernel-2.4.17

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 06:17:46PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> High,
>
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Gerard Robin wrote:
>
> > hello,
> > I have a problem with the kernel 2.4.17:
> > My machine: HDD1 in hda
> >             HDD2 in hdb
> >
> > The machine boots with lilo on hda.
> > I boot with a disket 1.44 Mb for hdb.
> >
> > After the compile, my machine booted correctly with the
> > kernel 2.4.17 on the disket 1.44 Mb, but I forgot to
> > include a module in the kernel and I recompiled the
> > kernel 2.4.17 and now when I boot the machine with the
> > boot disket I get :
> >
> > NET4:unix domain socket 1.0/SMP for LINUX NET4.0.
> > request_module[ide-disk]:Rot fs not mounted
> > hdb:driver not present
> > VFS:Cannot open root device "343" or 03:43
> > Please apend a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:43
> >
> Ok, I do not really see how your system is configured. On which harddisk
> is Linux installed? Why do you use a floppy to boot when you have LILO
> installed too?
>
> The problem is that the ide driver is not loaded (that's what the kernel
> says). You have to recompile the kernel and test it first.

Thanks for your reply.
I solved my problem:
when I ran xconfig I set by mistake "include IDE/ATAPI-2 DISK support"
to "m" instead to "y" ;-)
I rerecompiled the kernel and now it's ok.

About lilo :
I use lilo to boot on HDD1 on which win98 and potato 2.2r2 are installed.
And on HDD2 "potato -> woody" is installed.(I experiment ....)
I don't know if lilo can accommodate the three systems ?

off topic:
I put the module udf in the kernel 2.4.17 and now I can read my CDRW
(burned with udf fs) with linux.
Thanks again.
--
Gerard