Menu and color bugginess in KDE

Hi,

I'm having two problems in KDE 2.2.2 in unstable.  First is, my
/etc/menu items that I customized are not showing in my kde menus. (They
work just fine in normal WMs such as Fluxbox, Windowmaker, etc...) Is
there a special precaution that needs to be made or format that needs to
be followed in order to get them to show up in KDE?

Second, when I use Emacs 21, I normall invoke it with the -r switch so
that it's shown in reverse video.  This does not seem to work under
KDE.  I tried invoking it like that both from Konsole and from the
"Run Command..." on the KDE menu.  I get the default black text on a
white background.  Is there a known problem with this? (and better yet, a
known solution?)

I appreciate any help,

Jeremy