Re: why can I upgrade SSH via SSH?

Kurt Lieber wrote:

> I was ssh'd in to a remote machine doing an apt-get upgrade and watched
> patiently as it upgraded ssh to the latest patched version.
>
> I also watched as it restarted the sshd daemon without terminating my
> existing ssh connection.  How is that possible?  Wouldn't restarting the
> daemon kill all existing instances of that daemon?

Not necessarily.  I don't know, but from what you describe I imagine
that sshd forks a new process to handle each request, and just lets
these processes go until their session is closed;  when sshd is 'shut
down' it just kills the thing that listens on port 22.

Remember, just my guess.

Regards
Tom
--
Tom Cook

"That you're not paranoid does not mean they're not out to get you."
	- Robert Waldner