Re: fatal server error: no screens found (closer)

I copied the file to the /etc/X11/
directory, renamed it, and made gdm my
default display manager by running:

dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Now, X starts via gdm. I had xdm as
the default dm but it kept booting kde.

Small problem: X is running at 640x480,
I can't CNTRL+ALT+[+], and the
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file doesn't
mention any resolutions I can change,
only color depths.

I am guessing there is another configuration
tool I should use, or the same one with
different options?

Thank you Patrick and Alan for your help.

(==timothy==)

=======================================

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:23:31PM -0500, timothy bauscher wrote:
>x-window-system and gnome-session are installed. xdm is the default
display manager. I am using the nv driver for my RIVA TNT2, and have
just completed a fresh install of unstable.

>When xdm (or gdm) are launched, they display a black screen 3 times
and then fail. When startx is launched it also fails. The error I
receive is:

>(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
>Fatal server error:
>no screens found

login as root
run XFree86 -configure

A working XF86Config file should now be in the root directory for you
to either use as is if everything has worked perfectly or forward to us
for help if you have problems.