Re: fatal server error: no screens found

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:23:31PM -0500, timothy bauscher wrote:

> I have run xf86config and xf86cfg with different resolutions and color
>  depths, but I still end up with the same error.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, I have run out of ideas.

Make sure you have xserver-xfree86 installed. And let debconf configure X
for you. If you choose the wrong option in debconf you can go back and do it
again by typing "dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86"

The -plow is for "priority low" just so it asks you everything it can.

I recommend choosing the simple monitor configuration, advanced sometimes
doesnt seem to work even if you're sure you chose all the right options.

You should be able to make X work using the nv driver and then switch to
nvidia if that works ok. (I hope i got that the right way around)
If debconf doesnt offer the nvidia module then you can just edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and change the driver in there.

I hope that makes sense.