fatal server error: no screens found

x-window-system and gnome-session are installed. xdm is the default display manager. I am using the nv driver for my RIVA TNT2, and have just completed a fresh install of unstable.

When xdm (or gdm) are launched, they display a black screen 3 times and then fail. When startx is launched it also fails. The error I receive is:

(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error:
no screens found

I have run xf86config and xf86cfg with different resolutions and color depths, but I still end up with the same error.

Any help would be appreciated, I have run out of ideas.

(==timothy==)