Re: another potato/woody X3/4 question

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:24:01AM -0600, Remy Indebetouw wrote:
> I've got a potato/woody pinned hybrid, and my main reluctance to just
> dist-upgrade is related to this:
>
> I appear to have both Xfree 3 and 4 (see apt-cache output below; I
> didn't purposefully do this, parts of X4 came along with libc6-dev, I
> think.  BTW thanks to those who convinced me that apt would not lead me
> astray in a hydrid system.  deb packaging rocks once again).

In woody, both XFree86 3 & 4 are include since some hardware supported
in 3 is not supported in 4.

> I used a patched Mach64 server on my Dell I7K laptop (ATI Rage), so what
> I'd like to do is configure and try X4 without trashing X3, or at least
> know how to get back, so
> -how do i tell if I have all parts of X4 (I thought this was x-window-system)
> -how would i get back if it doesn't work?  restore the
> old /etc/X11/XF86Config and what else??
> -once X4 works can i just purge task-x-window-system to wipe X3?

Config file for X3 is XF86Config and for X4 it's XF86Config-4.

To try X4:
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

/etc/X11/XF86Config will still be there unchanged.

If you don't like the results, I think all you need to do is change
symlink /etc/X11/X to point to old X3 server you want to use and
restart X. Or just rerun dpkg-reconfigure [xserver-you-want-to-use].

--
Jerome