Re: Installing from source

William P Martin, 2002-Mar-10 02:01 -0800:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently building a server based on potato. The three servers I am
> going to be running on the box with be bind,apache, and sendmail. I am doing
> this for experience and as a project given to me by the admins at work so
> that I can learn, screw up and ask them questions.
> Their recommendation is to build all of these from source so I have
> familiarity with where the tarballs put the files by default and getting
> experience setting them up by hand. My question is do I need to do anything
> special for these three. I have installed them from deb's with very little
> difficulty. But is there any prereq's that I may need that aren't obvious.
> And could I install the newest versions of these on a potato box?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Pat

Pat,

Isn't the point of this exercise to learn by doing?  I have to
admit that the most prominent lessons I've learned were from the
mistakes I've made, and were set in stone through the work it
took to recover from the mistake.

Well, I'll throw you a small bone in spite of this, but this
bone is so small you may not take notice:

Read all the documentation on each package thoroughly before
beginning.  Read the release notes, changelongs, installation
docs, and take note of all the dependancies and make sure all the
dependancies are satisfied prior to starting.  I believe the
acronym goes like RTFM.  :-)

Oh, and just to let you know, another reason your colleagues want
you to build from source is that the .deb versions do most of the
configuration for you.  :-D  Those guys are so sneaky!

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User