Re: (potato) dselect mess after upgrade to XFree 4.1.0 - how to get out of but keep XFree4.1!

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:10:31PM +0000, Martin Edward John Waller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I upgraded to XFree 4.1 to support my Matrox
> Millenium G450.
> I had loads of dependency problems but eventually
> got there.
>
> It appears hwoever I still have dependency
> problems and have got my system in a bit of a
> state.

Hi Martin,

Some of the packages listed for removal (like xbase-clients and xdm)
are contained in subdirectories of http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/.
Make sure you have all the packages from C P Botha installed and then
recheck to see if you still have all these dependency problems.

> Here's the output of dselect if I don't change any
> requested packages:
>
> U*- Std devel    g++          The GNU C++
> compiler.
> U*- Std devel    g++-2.95
> U*- Std devel    gcc-2.95
> U*- Std devel    libstdc++2.1 The GNU stdc++
> library (development files)
> U*- Opt x11      xbase-client miscellaneous X
> clients
[snip]
> **- Opt x11      xdm          X display manager
> **- Xtr devel    libncurses4- Developer's
> libraries and docs for ncurses
[snip]

> The gcc compiler installed is
> Reading specs from
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/specs
> gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)
>
> and it works (rebuilt the kernel with it OK) but I
> can't install g++ and am in a knot.
>
> What's the best way out without removing
> XFree4.1?  Upgrade to testing?  I'd prefer
> something stable-ish...

I've used woody/testing for over a year and find it very stable.
Sometimes a broken package gets installed, but this has become much
less frequent. Usually, work arounds for broken packages are posted to
this list fairly quickly. Also, if you don't delete downloaded packages
after installation, you'll find the prior version in apt's cache and
can reinstall prior version with dpkg.

Hope this helps.
--
Jerome