(potato) dselect mess after upgrade to XFree 4.1.0 - how to get out of but keep XFree4.1!

Hello,

I upgraded to XFree 4.1 to support my Matrox
Millenium G450.
I had loads of dependency problems but eventually
got there.

It appears hwoever I still have dependency
problems and have got my system in a bit of a
state.

Here's the output of dselect if I don't change any
requested packages:

U*- Std devel    g++          The GNU C++
compiler.
U*- Std devel    g++-2.95
U*- Std devel    gcc-2.95
U*- Std devel    libstdc++2.1 The GNU stdc++
library (development files)
U*- Opt x11      xbase-client miscellaneous X
clients
*** Req base     libncurses5  Shared libraries for
terminal handling
*** Std devel    binutils     The GNU assembler,
linker and binary utilities.
**- Std devel    gcc          The GNU C compiler.
**- Std devel    libc6-dev    GNU C Library:
Development Libraries and Header Files.
**- Std utils    dpkg-dev     Package building
tools for Debian
**- Opt admin    debconf-tiny Tiny subset of
debconf for the base system
**- Opt devel    blt-dev      Development in blt -
a tcl/tk extension library
**- Opt devel    f2c          A Fortran77 to C/C++
translator, plus static & shared libs.
**- Opt devel    fort77       Invoke f2c like a
real compiler.
**- Opt devel    g77          The GNU Fortran 77
compiler.
**- Opt devel    kernel-sourc Linux kernel source
for version 2.2.19
**- Opt devel    libxaw7-dev  X Athena widget set
library development files
**- Opt devel    task-tcltk-d Developing Tcl/Tk
applications
**- Opt devel    tcl8.2-dev   The Tool Command
Language (TCL) v8.2 - Development Files.
**- Opt devel    tk8.2-dev    The Tk toolkit for
TCL and X11 v8.2 - Development Files.
**- Opt devel    xlib6g-dev   pseudopackage
providing X library development files
**- Opt devel    xlibs-dev    X Window System
client library development files
**- Opt interpre tktable-dev  Development files
for tkTable
**- Opt misc     kernel-packa Debian Linux kernel
package build scripts.
**- Opt x11      x-window-sys X Window System
**- Opt x11      x-window-sys X Window System core
components
**- Opt x11      xdm          X display manager
**- Xtr devel    libncurses4- Developer's
libraries and docs for ncurses
_* Opt admin    debconf      Debian configuration
management system
__ Opt devel    bcc          16-bit C compiler
__ Xtr devel    gcc272       The GNU C compiler.
__ Xtr devel    libxaw6-dev  X Athena widget set
library development files (version 6)
__ Xtr oldlibs  altgcc       Alternate gcc package
for the libc5 environment.

g++          unpacked (not set up) ;  remove (was:
install).  Standard
g++-2.95 depends on g++ (>= 2.95.3-2)
g++ depends on gcc (<< 2.95.3)

Here's my apt/sources list:# See sources.list(5)
for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file
URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main
contrib non-free
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
stable/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates
main contrib non-free

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source
function to work
#deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable
main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
stable non-US

deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/
xf410_potato/i386/
deb http://people.debian.org/~cpbotha/
xf410_potato/all/

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable main
non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stable
main non-free contrib
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
stable/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
stable/non-US main contrib non-free

deb
ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/
stable main non-free contrib
deb-src
ftp://sunsite.org.uk/Mirrors/ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/
stable main non-free contrib
#deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
stable/non-US main contrib non-free
#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US
stable/non-US main contrib non-free

The gcc compiler installed is
Reading specs from
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)

and it works (rebuilt the kernel with it OK) but I
can't install g++ and am in a knot.

What's the best way out without removing
XFree4.1?  Upgrade to testing?  I'd prefer
something stable-ish...

Martin