Re: lite applications

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 11:52:43PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Mar 08, 2002, Nicholas Imfeld (orion28@drexel.edu) wrote:
> > I have set up an old 486 laptop with debian.  I am looking for an x
> > email client (preferably graphical as opposed to test based) and a web
> > browser that don't require a lot of space, memory, etc.
>
> I'd ***STRONGLY*** encourage you to stick with the text alternatives,
> unless you're using the 486 _just_ as an X11 terminal, you might be able
> to run more advanced apps on it.  Otherwise, I'd stick with mutt, w3m,
> lynx, and similar text-mode apps.
>
> If X is an absolute requirement, look to BrowseX as a browser.  It's
> Tk/Tcl based and pretty light.  Nothing else I'm aware of comes close.
> Dillo's small of itself, but the gtk requirements are large.

If you install KDE 1.x you might try the kfm file manager as a browser
replacement. Other possiblities include Netscape 3 & Chimera.

I'm on a 1.2 Ghz Athlon & still haven't found any mail reader better
than mutt, but if you want a GUI one, there again I will suggest KDE-1
kmail. Another mail client people say is small & fast is called sylpheed
but I haven't tried it. I notice it depends on gtk+ and is not present
in the stable tree.

If you have trouble finding a Debian kde-1, try finding a mirror for
Stormix or old Libranet here's one place that has Storm:
http://download.sourceforge.net/pub/mirrors/storm

CraigW