Re: Sun hardware

Oki DZ wrote:

John Griffiths wrote:

I believe he knows, last sun seminar I went to they were waxing lyrical about doing something very similar to apt.

Is there any distant clue that he suffers from the NIH syndrome? I hope not.

BTW, what makes it impossible the way apt does on Debian systems would work on Suns? I think it's just about the differences in directories of files. Well, the main problem would be on how "apt-get update" would work for products from different companies.

I believe it would be doable. Due to the openness of Sun, it wouldn't be difficult to set up "registered servers" where you can safely and correctly download the packages from; especially the package lists (the actual .deb's could be anywhere, right?)

Oki

http://www.sunfreeware.com is the "registered server".
The "apt-get" clone is pkg-get (http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/pkg-get.html). It's not nearly as good as apt-get, but it's recognizable as a reasonable facsimile.

Kent