Re: What is the difference between Potato and Woody?

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 10:13:27PM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> On 10-Mar-2002 Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
> > I have started reading details about Woody. (I am running Potato on all
> > of my machines with the 2.4 kernel).
> >
> > I was surprise to see that the 2.4 kernel is "optional". This leads me
> > to a fundamental question... What makes Woody different?
> >
> > Are there structure changes (layout, etc.) that are incompatible with
> > Potato? If not, why not just keep upgrading the packages.
>
> 2.4 is the default though, you still have the choice of using 2.2.
> Woody is roughly 2 years worth of new code.  That is the big difference.  XFr
> ee 4.x not 3.3.x, etc.

Sean is 100 % correct but may be somewhat intriguing to the first
poster.

First, if first poster is running 2.4 kernel on potato, it is no more
pure potato. It must have been installed few packages to enable this or
started with 3rd party enhanced-potato. (A. Bank package ?)

What Sean meant was Woody is ready for 2.4 kernel by purely itself
(=default).  I think first poster"s comment of  '2.4 kernel is
"optional"' is all about main install disk.  That is separate issue.

As for last point in the first poster, there is basically no
incompatibility.  That is by design of Debian.

If first poster installed 3rd party softwares, you may want to check
their site for compatibility.  Any 2.4 related patches are available on
woody so it is best to upgrade those packages to woody.

Cheers :)

Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D
Visit Debian reference http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/
There are 6 files: index.{en|fr|it}.html quick-reference.{en|fr|it}.txt
I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.