start-stop-daemon chroot option.

  I'm attempting to chroot my spamd process to run from /var/lib/spamd.
  I have copied all the relevant files from /etc, and from /usr/sbin to
/var/lib/spamd.
  I then edit /etc/init.d/spamassassin and add --chroot /var/lib/spamd after
every start-stop-daemon invocation.
  when I run the modified script, I get the unhelpful and inaccurate error:
hobbes:/etc/init.d# /etc/init.d/spamassassin start
Starting SpamAssassin Mail Filter Daemon: start-stop-daemon: Unable to start
/usr/sbin/spamd: No such file or directory

Yes, there is a spamd in /usr/sbin, and there is also one in
/var/lib/spamd/usr/sbin.
wtf?

thanks,
crh