Re: Kernel question

begin  Rich Puhek  quotation:

> I don't believe Debian "customizes" the kernel at all. There are
> pre-compiled versions available with different options set (see things
> like "kernel-image-2.2.19-compact" and "kernel-image-2.2.19-ide"

There are also usually some extra patches applied, which I prefer to
avoid. I build my kernels with the official tarballs.

> I'd suggest running 2.4.17 or 2.4.18 if you can... seems to be working
> fine.

2.4.18 has some problems that are fixed in 2.4.19pre2. For one thing, I
couldn't get at my USB compact flash card reader (which uses the
usb-storage driver and pretends to be a SCSI drive) to work under
2.4.18. There have been complaints of other issues on the kernel mailing
list as well. I'd suggest sticking with 2.4.17 until 2.4.19 comes out.

> One warning (might have been discussed earlier on the thread):
> don't use a 2.4.x kernel with Debian Potato (a.k.a "stable" a.k.a
> 2.2.r5). There were some issues there.

I thought Adrian Bunk had some packages for using 2.4 kernels on Potato.
Are those no longer available? I haven't been paying much attention to
that, since my only Potato machine is running 2.2.19 and I see no reason
to change it.

Craig