Re: Kernel question

On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 13:52, Charles Parker wrote:
> I don't see a 2.4 kernel in the stable Debian packages. I've been told it's
> usually NOT a good idea to take a kernel directly from kernel.org because it
> won't contain the customizations provided by your distribution, and things
> will likely break. I've also been told to use a 2.4 kernel for better USB
> support (which started this whole thing).
>
> What's the story, and what do the cognoscenti recommend?

You need to dist-upgrade to woody if you want a 2.4.x kernel.  Also
cooking your own kernel from kernel.org sources work just fine.  There
shouldn't be anything wrong with it.  From what I remember from a thread
about 3 4 months ago, the patches debian applies to its kernels are
trivial and don't warrant not cooking your own kernel.  But be warned
you cant use a 2.4.x kernel on potato at all, only woody or above will
handle a 2.4.x kernel.  I hope I helped some.  Peace

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu

 "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty: power is ever stealing from
the many to the few.  The manna of popular liberty must be gathered each
day, or it is rotten... The hand entrusted with power becomes, either
from human depravity or esprit de corps, the necessary enemy of the
people.  Only by continual oversight can the democrat in office be
prevented from hardening into a despot: only by unintermitted agitation
can a people be kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty
be smothered in material prosperity... Never look, for an age when the
people can be quiet and safe.  At such times despotism, like a shrouding
mist, steals over the mirror of Freedom"
- Wendell Phillips