Re: Still looking to replace Eudora

begin  Eric G. Miller  quotation:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 05:11:12PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> > I just didn't realize how set in my ways I am.
> >
> > I've tried for X: Kmail, Evolution, Sylpheed, and Mahogany.  Something
> > else I can't remember.  They all seem fine.
> >
> > Maybe it's a config setting I've missed, but what I miss is having the
> > messages open in their own windows (yet still inside the main Eudora
> > window).  The reason is I like to work with my mail as a single unit
> > (single window), but I like to keep a bunch of messages open at the
> > same time that I'm working on.
>
> The window(s) within a containing window paradigm is generally not found
> in X programs.  I don't think it's even part of most (any?) toolkits.

If he's referring to the MS Windows Multiple Document Interface (MDI),
you don't even find that in most Windows programs anymore. Microsoft
promoted it back in the Windows 3.x period, but it is conspicuous by its
absence in the Windows 95+/NT4+ interfaces. Compare the MDI-based
Windows 3.x File Manager with the Windows 95+ Explorer, where you open
separate windows if you want to see two directories at once.

Craig