Re: OT: Aliens in the heavans (was Re: seti@home)

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:38:54PM -0300, Daniel Toffetti wrote:
> >
> > Can you please explain what do WV and bwy stands for ? I know this is
> > way off-topic, but it's funny anyway and don't want to miss a thing :)
>
> WV = West Virginia, home of (among other things) Sen Robert Byrd, who
> has made some really hilarious speeches from the Senate floor (for
> instance, he mops the kitchen floor for his wife).

interesting place for this thread to wind up, since it was Byrd got
congress to build one of the best new radio telescopes in the country.
dunno how much it'll get used for SETI, but probably some.  one of the
other biggest new projects in radio astronomy, the Allen telescope
(yes, the same Allen of the evil empire, he's paying for it) will be
primarily used for SETI.  whatever we're listening for, we're soon to
start listening even more carefully (and do some good astrophysics on
the side)