Re: Still looking to replace Eudora

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:53:17PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> begin  Eric G. Miller  quotation:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 05:11:12PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> >
> > > I just didn't realize how set in my ways I am.
> > >
> > > I've tried for X: Kmail, Evolution, Sylpheed, and Mahogany.  Something
> > > else I can't remember.  They all seem fine.
> > >
> > > Maybe it's a config setting I've missed, but what I miss is having the
> > > messages open in their own windows (yet still inside the main Eudora
> > > window).  The reason is I like to work with my mail as a single unit
> > > (single window), but I like to keep a bunch of messages open at the
> > > same time that I'm working on.
> >
> > The window(s) within a containing window paradigm is generally not found
> > in X programs.  I don't think it's even part of most (any?) toolkits.
>
> If he's referring to the MS Windows Multiple Document Interface (MDI),
> you don't even find that in most Windows programs anymore. Microsoft
> promoted it back in the Windows 3.x period, but it is conspicuous by its
> absence in the Windows 95+/NT4+ interfaces. Compare the MDI-based
> Windows 3.x File Manager with the Windows 95+ Explorer, where you open
> separate windows if you want to see two directories at once.

I'm not entirely familiar with this MDI interface, and my examples are
probably built a little outside the standard X toolkits, but what
about the tabs in Mozilla, Galeon, & Opera? In Opera they can be tiled
or cascaded within the main Opera window. Not sure if Mozilla Mail can
do that.

but I'm pretty sure Mutt won't!

-CraigW