Re: NEWBIE TIP #110 [was Re: suggestion[data in .sig file]]

 Hans> Since no one else has disputed this post yet, I think it is
 Hans> time to do so. I have used X-forwarding over SSH enough to know
 Hans> that you need not and you should not set $DISPLAY manually.

no, you don't need to set DISPLAY.  but you said:

<quote>
This tip is bad. It does not work. The first line makes the following
fail (or, I think, in case of bad security on client succeed but by-pass the
ssh-tunnel).
</quote>

which is incorrect.  the tip in question was this:

> DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #110 from Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu>
> :
> Here's how to TUNNEL SECURE X11 CONNECTIONS THROUGH SSH: on the
> client, do this:
> 	client# export DISPLAY=client:0.0
> 	client# ssh -X server
> then once you're logged in at the server, do:
> 	server# netscape &
> The environment created at the server will include the DISPLAY
> variable, so netscape (or whatever) will dialogue with the
> client machine. (See "man ssh" for more.)

you claimed that the tip above was wrong.  I think you were suggesting
that setting the DISPLAY variable would bypass ssh.  this would be
correct, *if* you were setting DISPLAY on the remote side of the
connection.

but that's not what the tip above is doing.  it's setting the DISPLAY
variable on the local side, which is usually not necessary, but is
probably in the tip as a misguided attempt at clarity.  the tip is
*not* setting it on the server side.

get it?

--

joe