Re: NEWBIE TIP #110 [was Re: suggestion[data in .sig file]]

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:44:40PM -1000, Joseph Dane wrote:

>  Hans> This tip is bad. It does not work. The first line makes the
>  Hans> following fail (or, I think, in case of bad security on client
>  Hans> succeed but by-pass the ssh-tunnel).
>
> no, it works as expected.  if the tip had been
>
>  client> ssh -X server
>  server> export DISPLAY=client:0.0        # DON'T DO THIS!!!
>  server> netscape&
>
> then that would have been bad.  but that's not what was in the post.

Since no one else has disputed this post yet, I think it is time to do
so. I have used X-forwarding over SSH enough to know that you need not
and you should not set $DISPLAY manually.

I fail to understand why you came up with the example above. No one
have suggested or commented any such thing.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand