Re: NEWBIE TIP #110 [was Re: suggestion[data in .sig file]]

* Crispin Wellington (crispin@aeonline.net) spake thusly:
> On Thu, 2002-03-07 at 18:13, Hans Ekbrand wrote:
> > I fail to understand why you came up with the example above. No one
> > have suggested or commented any such thing.
>
> I wasn't subscribed when the first post came in so Im exempt. But I
> agree completely. Leave out the export DISPLAY.
>
> Doing the above *works* but bypasses any X forwarding ssh sets up for
> you and sends the X forwarding directly to the client without
> encryption. In fact the default DISPLAY setting on a -X login is
> connected to the server itself...

Crispin, Hans: I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.
Which part of "ssh won't forward X connections if *local* DISPLAY is
not set" escapes you? Try this at home:

client # export DISPLAY=
client # ssh -X server
server # netscape

If local $DISPLAY is not set, ssh assumes X is not running on local
machine, so there is nowhere to forward X connections *to*. Is that
so hard to figure out?

The wrong part of the tip is that export DISPLAY=client:0.0 worked
on some versions of ssh client & server, but not on the current
version. export DISPLAY=:0.0 is what works now (*note* *no*
*hostname*). An experienced unix user would probably know to try
both, but a newbie will simply turn around and decide that Great
Debian Newbie Tips database is not worth crap.

Dima (sheesh)
--
Backwards compatibility is either a pun or an oxymoron.                  -- PGN