Re: Back up using tape or remote

hi ya billy

> I'm looking for a solution for baking up a server that is running debian.

why debian... no biggie.. anything will perfrom backup stuff...

> The goal is to back-up the MYSQL database aswell as the critical data on the
> hard drive.

no problem... just remember that data is just partially backed up as of
the last time the files are written to disks...

	- live online db are harder to backup at any given instant...
	need the help of app writing its data to "do backups right"

> Ultimately the client wishes to run the back up remotely from their office
> location and store the data off site. However I'll accept if this may be
> impossible.

no problem...  how much data ???  40MB over T1 (1.54Mbps) connection or
over T3 ( 45Mbps ) connection ???
	- do the math and double it for latency and traffic/collisions
 	( about 5-10 minutes at "ideal T1" speeds )

> first off can debian support this?

any os can do backups

think you're asking which apps ???
	- any backup apps will do the job...
	( what media??? tape, cdrom, disks, etc..etc..

> second would a tape drive work and what tape drives are compatible for a 40
> meg solution?

current cheap DLT ( $15 range tapes ) is 2GB/4GB/8GB tapes  ... mroe
expensive stuff is 40GB-80GB .. drives are $100 - $4,000 range
( depending on make and models.. etc..etc.. )

- i would not use tapes as backups in general... but for 40MB... tapes
  would fine... if you remember to check it regularly.. clean the heads
  and rotate the silly things

> Third can you recommend a software that makes this sort of process possible
> with debian.

lots of um

	http://www.linux-backup.net/
	- go to the "backup scripts" link

imho... "find | tar" is best in my boook....

c ya
alvin