Re: Generic file finder question ..what tool or database

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:07:50PM +0000, Simon Hepburn wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 Mar 2002 5:15 am, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >
> > What about listing packages in cache that are not installed
> > Browsing over man apt-get apt-cache dbkg I didn't notice a command
> > that lists all the packages onboard  that are not installed.
>
> Why would you want to do that at the command line ? There are in excess of
> 9000 packages in sid ...you would be in for a very long read. Use a front end
> to apt/dpkg such as dselect to display available packages.

Or stormpkg / gnome-apt / aptitude

Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
      in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the
      Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things
      whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with
      you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
                     Matthew 28:19,20