XDMCP Howto?

Here's  one for the X-perts.

I have 3 machines on a private network.  2 linux boxes using gdm and 1
SGI using xdm/clogin.  I would like to be able to log into any of the
boxes from any one of the other boxes.  This seemed like a perfect time
for me to play with XDMCP.  After all, isn't network transparency
supposed to be one of the big selling points of X11?  So, after much
fruitless searching for info on XDMCP and the configuration of xdm and
gdm, all I could come up with was that I needed to enable xdmcp in my
gdm.conf files (done), enable broadcast in same (done) and also enable
xdmcp broadcasts on all boxes (done).  As far as I can tell from the man
pages I should get (gdm)chooser popping up automagically on the all 3.
Unfortunately, nothing like that happens.  I just have my normal login
screens.  Anybody have any hints for me?

Cheers,

Caleb