Re: OT: getting the family in on Linux. was: Re: new twist on shutting down and restricting ssh users

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:24:49PM -0600, Matt Garman wrote:
[...]
| This made me think some folks on this group might be interesting in
| learning how I setup the family computers to allow my parents to ease
| into Linux.
[...]
| The solution: vnc.
[...]

That's a good idea.  Another possibility is to install cygwin and
XFree86 and enable XDMCP on the linux box.  I don't know why, but X is
really sluggish on my dad's win98 PII 300 with 192MB RAM (I used to
have RH 6.1 and later 7.0 on it with only 64MB RAM and it was just
fine).

I wonder if someone has done a comparison between
    1)  VNC on the server  vs.  using XDMCP to manage a remote display

    2)  VNC viewer on the client  vs.  X server (using XDMCP) on the client

The points of interest are :
    on the server :
        o ease of installation/setup
        o performance tradeoff (memory, speed, bandwidth, etc)
    on the client :
        o usability of the display software

My only experience with VNC is using the client (mainly the java one)
to connect to a WinNT and Win2k box.  The server on windows takes a
good chunk of CPU to run, and with windows each user fights over
control.  (for a short while it's funny to hear my boss yell "hey"
when the mouse moves around on him when he went to do something with
the server)

Just some food for thought ...

HAND,
-D

PS.  I'll be offline for a few days, starting RSN, but I'll catch up
     eventually.

--

Many a man claims to have unfailing love,
but a faithful man who can find?