Re: Install problems from a newbie

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 05:15:46PM -0600, Carnes, Kevin wrote:
> OK, after hearing lots of hype about how Linux is the best thing since
> sliced bread,

Better. Like bread with jam.

>I'm putting the claims to the test and trying to install
> Debian on a new Intel box.

Debian? What sadist told you to start with Debian?

>I'm an old VAX/VMS system manager and have
> been playing with computers in various forms for 20 years.

So you should have a good head start on things like understanding the
process, planning your disk partitions, making a cheatsheet (or not
needing one) of all your relevant hardware in case the info is
required.

>If Linux is
> so easy to install, I should be able to do it with a minimum of bother,
> right?  NOT!  So, this mailing list request is a test of Linux support.
> I'm assuming this is where you go when stuck.

At the risk of getting flamed by this particular group, I might suggest
starting with another distro just to prove to yourself that Linux is
indeed easy to install. As much as I happen to like Debian for its
philosophy, its packaging system, and everything else, the install does
leave a bit to be desired. Until you've been through it 5 or 10 times
and maybe grown accustomed to it.

I am not exaggerating when I say:
The latest versions of RedHat, Suse, & Mandrake are all far easier to
install than Windows. And just might do a better job of detecting
hardware & self-configuring.
Debian is not like that.

You want an easy install? Here's another one. Linux geeks tend to look
down their noses at Corel Linux, and it's now pretty out of date, but
wow what an easy install that one had. As long as all your hardware
was supported, you had to click your mouse maybe half a dozen times
and then 10 to 12 minutes later you'd be done - online, sharing files
on an existing Windoze network, using your printer, whatever.

-CraigW