RE: chkconfig is to redhat as ___ is to debian?

On 06-Mar-2002 Michael Marziani wrote:
> I want to:
>

> NAME
>        chkconfig  -  updates and queries runlevel information for
>        system services
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        chkconfig provides a simple command-line  tool  for  main-
>        taining  the /etc/rc[0-6].d directory hierarchy by reliev-
>        ing system administrators of the task of directly  manipu-
>        lating the numerous symbolic links in those directories.

Ok.

1) Debian only installs a package if the item is expected to be used.  So the
usual use of chkconfig to disable unneeded daemons should not apply here.  If
you want to disable a daemon (it happens sometimes) and there is no way
provided (many packages offer a do not run me option if there is demand) you
just edit the init.d script or remove the rc?.d symlinks.

2) as others have said update-rc.d

3) ls the rc?.d directory to see what is started when.  For the most part
things are started in a certain order to play nicely with others.  You may need
to change this, but likely not.  My router is a laptop so I had to move many of
my daemons to start much later than pcmcia.