Fetchmail starts to poll, then times out

I have a dialup connection with mutt, exim and fetchmail. Ougoing mail is fine.
When I try to fetchmail, it goes through the usual POP3 dialog, until the first "RETR", at which point
it says,

"Fetching message 1 of N, N Octets ."

and then stays that way until it times out after five minutes. The error given is "Client/Server synchronization error."

The success of the logon up to that point makes me doubt that the problem is my .fetchmailrc.

Thanks in advance--

--
Tom Schuetz   |   schuetz@mind.net