Re: ALSA modules not loading

* Richard Weil (rcweil@yahoo.com) spake thusly:
> Yet another ALSA question ...
>
> Problems are with a maestro-2 (es1968) soundcard
> running on 2.4.18-ac3, ALSA compiled from source on an
> up-to-date Woody system.[Same problems occurred with
> other kernels, but I never fixed them.]
>
> In a nutshell, the ALSA modules won't load
> automatically.  If I use "insmod" I can insert the
> relevant sound modules one-by-one and ALSA works. If I
> use "modprobe" I can get all of the sound modules to
> load _except_ for "snd-card-es1968". I get the
> following error:
>
> lib/modules/2.4.18-ac3/alsa/snd-card-es1968.o: invalid
> parameter parm_snd_dac_frame_size

File a bug against alsaconf -- its idea of driver
parameters has nothing to do with what driver actually
understands.

Delete the offending parameter(s) from /etc/modutils/alsa
(IIRC). Don't forget to run update-modules after each
edit. Once you get it to work, make the file chattr +i so
that alsaconf doesn't overwrite it next time it decides to
run.

Now you now why luser-friendly automagic configuration
is not necessarily a good idea.

Dima
--
I like the US government, makes the Aussie one look less dumb and THAT is a
pretty big effort.                                               -- Craig Small