Re: Fetchmail starts to poll, then times out

on Wed, Mar 06, 2002, Tom Schuetz (schuetz@mind.net) wrote:
> I have a dialup connection with mutt, exim and fetchmail. Ougoing mail is fine.
> When I try to fetchmail, it goes through the usual POP3 dialog, until the first "RETR", at which point
> it says,
>
> "Fetching message 1 of N, N Octets ."
>
> and then stays that way until it times out after five minutes. The
> error given is "Client/Server synchronization error."
>
> The success of the logon up to that point makes me doubt that the
> problem is my .fetchmailrc.

There are two sources I've found for similar problems:

  1.  Your exim (or other local delivery MTA) isn't running, isn't being
      invoked properly, or is unable to start for some reason.  Check
      this first.

  2.  Malformed mail.  I've had several recent instances in which
      malformed spam has blocked my downloads for email at work (as the
      admin, I collect 50-100 pieces of spam daily).  Spam seems more
      prone than valid email to being malformed.  I'm shocked,
      shocked....  The fix in this case is to manually delete the
      offending mail.  If you don't have shell access to the mail server
      (as the admin, I.... ;-), you'll have to scrap together enough
      info on the POP mail protocol to list and delete messages.  I've
      posted on this in the past (don't recall if it was this group or
      elsewhere), though I believe the appropriate RFC is the
      authoritative source.

Peace.