Re: what is xconsole.real?

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 20:34:13 +1000, mdevin wrote:
> Because the symlink /etc/alternatives/xconsole points to
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole.real but this file does not exist on my system.
> $ ls /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole.real
> ls: /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole.real: No such file or directory
>
> However, the file /usr/X11R6/bin/xconsole does exist.  Should I change
> the symlink to point to this one?

AFAIK the symlink no longer serves a purpose and can safely be removed.
(The symlinks in /etc/alternatives are only used if there is a link to them
from a bin directory (e.g. /usr/bin/editor -> /etc/alternatives/editor)).

HTH,
Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would