Re: NEWBIE TIP #110 [was Re: suggestion[data in .sig file]]

* Hans Ekbrand (hans@sociologi.cjb.net) spake thusly:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 11:36:15AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> > DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #110 from Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu>
> > :
> > Here's how to TUNNEL SECURE X11 CONNECTIONS THROUGH SSH: on the
> > client, do this:
> > 	client# export DISPLAY=client:0.0
> > 	client# ssh -X server
> > then once you're logged in at the server, do:
> > 	server# netscape &
> > The environment created at the server will include the DISPLAY
> > variable, so netscape (or whatever) will dialogue with the
> > client machine. (See "man ssh" for more.)
> >
> > Also see http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net/ ...
>
> This tip is bad. It does not work. The first line makes the following
> fail (or, I think, in case of bad security on client succeed but by-pass the
> ssh-tunnel).

Of course it's bad. I hope Will's database comes with a huge disclaimer
along the "no warranties as to fitness for any purpose" lines.

Dima
--
I like the US government, makes the Aussie one look less dumb and THAT is a
pretty big effort.                                               -- Craig Small