Re: cdrom music

On Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:56:53 -0500
David Z Maze <dmaze@debian.org> wrote:

> Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> writes:
> > I have come to the conclusion that the reason why I can't mount a
> > music cd is because the type entry in fstab is iso9660, which is not
> > the format for a music cd.
>
> No, you just can't mount an audio CD (there's no filesystem on it at
> all, in the traditional sense).  You can use CD players (gtcd, cdplay,
> ...), or ripping programs (cdparanoia), using an (unmounted) CD-ROM
> device.

Well, you can sort-of mount an audio CD using the cdfs (kernel) module.
Imagine being able to rip a CD without using cdparanoia. The module
tends to choke on bad disks however, which can have the unfortunate
consequence of locking your cdrom drive until the next reboot.

> > Also, can I have 2 entries for /cdrom?
>
> I don't believe so (it'd make 'mount /cdrom' ambiguous).

Yes. But you can have two entries for /dev/cdrom. You can have fstab
entries like these:

/dev/cdrom	/cdrom		iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0	0
/dev/cdrom	/audiocd	cdfs	defaults,ro,user,noauto		0

mount /cdrom gives you your data cd; mount /audiocd lets you mount
(courtesy of cdfs) your audio CD.