Re: Getting lm-sensors to detect fan speed, etc

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:58:19 +0000
Simon Hepburn <sth@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>  On Monday 04 Mar 2002 1:28 am, csj wrote:
>  >
>  > eeprom-i2c-0-50
>  > Adapter: bt848 #0
>
>  Are you sure your mobo supports hardware monitoring ? You don't appear to
>  have any modules loaded for a hardware sensor chip or mainboard interface.
>  What is the output of sensors-detect ? Are you loading your modules at boot
>  time from /etc/modules ? As you rightly point out eeprom-i2c does not tell
>  you anything you don't know, I don't bother loading it.

I wouldn't suspect my mobo. It's less than half a year old, and I do get
to see the fan speed, etc, in the BIOS during boot-up time. Anyway, below
is the output of sensors-detect. All the modules it says "should be
inserted" I have inserted.

Driver `eeprom' (should be inserted):
  Detects correctly:
  * Bus `bt848 #0' (Bit-shift algorithm)
    Busdriver `UNKNOWN', I2C address 0x50
    Chip `Serial EEPROM (PC-100 DIMM)' (confidence: 1)
  * Bus `SMBus Via Pro adapter at 5000' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter)
    Busdriver `i2c-viapro', I2C address 0x50
    Chip `Serial EEPROM (PC-100 DIMM)' (confidence: 8)

Driver `lm80' (should be inserted):
  Detects correctly:
  * Bus `SMBus Via Pro adapter at 5000' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter)
    Busdriver `i2c-viapro', I2C address 0x2d
    Chip `National Semiconductor LM80' (confidence: 3)

Driver `lm75' (should be inserted):
  Detects correctly:
  * Bus `SMBus Via Pro adapter at 5000' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter)
    Busdriver `i2c-viapro', I2C address 0x4e
    Chip `National Semiconductor LM75' (confidence: 3)

Driver `ds1621' (may not be inserted):
  Misdetects:
  * Bus `SMBus Via Pro adapter at 5000' (Non-I2C SMBus adapter)
    Busdriver `i2c-viapro', I2C address 0x4e
    Chip `Dallas Semiconductor DS1621' (confidence: 3)

 I will now generate the commands needed to load the I2C modules.
 Sometimes, a chip is available both through the ISA bus and an I2C bus.
 ISA bus access is faster, but you need to load an additional driver module
 for it. If you have the choice, do you want to use the ISA bus or the
 I2C/SMBus (ISA/smbus)? smbus

WARNING! If you have some things built into your kernel, the
below list will contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones!
To load everything that is needed, edit /etc/modules and add the modules
 listed here to it:

#----cut here----
# I2C adapter drivers
# modprobe unknown adapter bt848 #0 using Bit-shift algorithm
# modprobe unknown adapter bt848 #0 using Bit-shift algorithm
i2c-viapro
# I2C chip drivers
eeprom
lm80
lm75
#----cut here----

Then, run /etc/init.d/modutils

To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
/etc/modutils/local and run update-modules:

#----cut here----
# I2C module options
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
#----cut here----