Re: really stuffed up news system!!!!!!!

Glynn.

Have been snowed under, did a very clear and detailed email the
other day which mysteriously dissappeared when I went to send it.
So excuse the rushed and perhaps less than optimal clarity format of
this state of the nation address.

[crashed my new W2000 machine for the 3rd time trying to install
cdwriter software, had to do full install, registry corrupted, what a
crock of !@#$, day wasted]

I uninstalled slrn from dselect using _ to remove any config files.  I
then reinstalled.  Then, as you suggested I dealt with the ownership
issue as outlined in your early email.

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 07:39:16AM +0000, Glyn Millington wrote:
> Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org> writes:
>

> > Try dpkg -l inn*

hephaestus:~# dpkg -l inn*

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
pn  inn            <none>         (no description available)
pn  inn-dev        <none>         (no description available)
hc inn2 2.2.2.2000.01. News transport system `InterNetNews' by the
pn  inn2-dev       <none>         (no description available)
rc inn2-inews 2.2.2.2000.01. NNTP client news injector, from
InterNetNews
pn  innfeed        <none>         (no description available)
hephaestus:~#

> > and dpkg -S innconfval

hephaestus:~# dpkg -S innconfval
dpkg: *innconfval* not found.
hephaestus:~#

I ran

hephaestus:~# slrn -f /var/lib/slrn/newsgroups -d

as outlined in /usr/share/doc/slrn/INSTALL.  With my ppp dial up
connx this took a while....
... and I now have a /var/lib/slrn/newsgroups.dsc file, a large one,
which was previously 0 bytes in size.

At the end of this I ran slrn (still on line) and as the (previously
hand created) .jnewsrc file was not deleted in the process my 10
favourite newsgroups were up on the slrn screen.  When i
disconnected and ran slrn again I am in the same position as
previously - nothing to be had.

rtfm is not much help (self-proclaims itself as out of date) but in
/usr/share/doc/slrn/FAQ I found:

Subject: 11. Why doesn't the `L' command work as advertised?

>From this I gathered that there were two options for slrn to garner
groups from if I was on line, and if not it would look in my .newsrc
file which in fact is there, and lists all newsgroups from my NNTP
server.  I conclude that perhaps it is not looking in this or I
should perhaps have an entry in slrn.rc for the path to this?

I find the documentation not clear.  We have newsgroups stored in
three seperate files. viz.

.jnewsrc
.newsrc
newsgroups.dsc

the latter seems to be the important one according to INSTALL but
the README mentions that one can either copy .newrc to .jnewsrc or
create it in the same manner as the newsgroups.dsc file.

Quote...
Once slrn has been created, you will need to creat a .jnewsrc file
in your
$HOME directory.  The simplist way to do this is to simply do:

    cp $HOME/.newsrc $HOME/.jnewsrc

   [Actually, slrn will do this for you automatically.  If no newsrc
file is
    specified, and .newsrc exists, it will create .jnewsrc from
.newsrc]

slrn will use a different name for this file while it is under
development.
Unquote...

Perhaps the line above refers to the now named newsgroups.dsc file?

> > and share what they tell you ;-)
>

> Sorry, forgot to add:-
>
> from way back I have set my nntpserver to localhost in .bashrc - I'm not
> sure if it's necessary for leafnode, but doesn't do any harm ;-)
>
> eg
>
> # .bashrc

> NNTPSERVER="localhost"

as suggested have added this. i note that when checking this with
# set that the "" quotes are stripped.

Noting that I am not connected (offline)

inksi@hephaestus:~$ slrn -f .jnewsrc
slrn 0.9.6.2 (Mar  5 2001 19:25:52)

Reading startup file /etc/news//slrn.rc.
Using newsrc file .jnewsrc for server news.saix.net.
Connecting to host news.saix.net ...news.saix.net: Unknown host.
slrn fatal error:
Failed to initialize server.

inksi@hephaestus:~$ slrn -f newsgroups.dsc
slrn 0.9.6.2 (Mar  5 2001 19:25:52)

Reading startup file /etc/news//slrn.rc.
Using newsrc file newsgroups.dsc for server news.saix.net.Unable to
open /home/inksi/newsgroups.dsc.  I will try .newsrc.

Connecting to host news.saix.net ...news.saix.net: Unknown host.
slrn fatal error:
Failed to initialize server.

inksi@hephaestus:~$ slrn
slrn 0.9.6.2 (Mar  5 2001 19:25:52)

Reading startup file /etc/news//slrn.rc.
Using newsrc file .jnewsrc for server news.saix.net.
Connecting to host news.saix.net ...news.saix.net: Unknown host.
slrn fatal error:
Failed to initialize server.

Each time it wants to connect to news.saix.net but since I am
offline it cannot.

$ slrn --spool will get slrn going onscreen but with no groups.

--
Ian Balchin
http://www.imaginet.co.za/fables