Re: What shows what an uninstalled package does?

 Harry> Martin Hermanowski <martin@mh57.net> writes:
>> `apt-cache showpkg <package>' gives some information but doesn't tell you
>> what the package does.  If its not installed then dpkg -I doesn't know
>> about it.
>>
>> Combing thru `man apt-cache' I found the -f (full) operator too but
>> `apt-cache -f showpkg <package> still doesn't really tell what a package
>> does.

 >> have you tried apt-cache show?

 Harry> Yikes.. I guess the name is kind of a giveaway but the definition in
 Harry> the man page doesn't come across as giving that kind of information:

	Incidentally, if you happen to use dselect (I use dselect with
 apt as a backend), looking through /var/lib/dpkg/available is quite
 informative (especially when I am unsure of what I am looking for and
 just use the regexp search in emacs or less).

	manoj
--
 The thoughtless man who consorts with another man's wife encounters
 four things - accumulation of demerit, disturbed sleep, thirdly