Re: dpkg - the letter prefixes.. what do they mean

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 08:02:39PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> dman wrote:
> Here is another version:

> |Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> ||Prob?=Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Prob: uppercase=bad)
> vvv-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  vim            6.0.226-1      Vi IMproved - enhanced vi editor
>
> I prefer this last one. Comments?

The ASCII art is definitely better. But why Prob?, why not Errors.
And when you consider change, what about changing the titles?
To me desired and status dont' ring a bell, I've always translated both
to Requests and Current. You see, all three line give status information,
so why call one Status.  Desired could mean that those are desirable, or
just desired, but why should all desired things be installed?  I only want
it installed when I request it to be installed.  Prob? is just a new cryptic
and unknown abbreviation, please don't use abbreviations.

This would look like:

Requests=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
|Current=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
||Errors=Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Current,Errors: uppercase=bad)
||| Name           Version        Description
ii  emacs21        21.1-7         The GNU Emacs editor.

Definitely looks best, especially the last line:)

--
groetjes, carel