Re: really stuffed up news system!!!!!!!

Glyn, hi,

no luck, comments below.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 10:36:08PM +0000, Glyn Millington wrote:
> Ian Balchin <inksi@imaginet.co.za> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:28:48PM +0200, inksi wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Now I have really stuffed up my news system. :(
> >>
> >> Iniatially my potatoe box had the dialup utilities selected by
> >> tasksel all installed.  But there seemed to be no news reader.
> >>
> >> 1.   I then looked to installing a suitable offline news reader.
> >> 2.   I thought that slrn would do the job
> >> 3.   I ignored advice to use leafnode and installed slrnpull because
> >>      the documentation claimed it was simpler for small installation
> >> 4.   Things were not looking good from many aspects so..
> >> 5.   When I noticed that fetchmail was running and that this was part
> >>      of the leafnode setup i used dselect and removed them.
> >> 6.   When things still did not function correctly I removed slrn and
> >>      slrnpull and reinstalled them (years of M$ conditioning asserting
> >>      itself there)
> >> 7.   Now it still does not function correctly and in addition we have
> >>      other problems - to whit
> >
> > and then I removed slrnpull and put leafnode back..........
>
> So you have slrn and leafnode now, yes?

Yes. Also the /var/spool/slrnpull/ directory and subdirectories are
still there.

There is still

/etc/cron.daily/slrnpull  (not sure what to do here)

and   /etc/news/slrnpull.conf which I will delete

and in the /etc/news/slrn.rc I have set the three set_spool_ ..... lines
to be

/var/lib/news
/var/spool/news
/var/spool/news/over.view

which I got from the /usr/share/docs/slrn

I also have a .slrnrc file in my ~/ directory

.... but I fear this is not the problem

> ,----
> | Leafnode
> `----
> You had permission problems wth slrnpull.  Leafnode puts articles and
> other info into /var/spool/news. The permissions on that directory and
> subdirectories should be _news.news_
> # chown -R news /var/spool/news

instantaneous

> # chgrp -R news /var/spool/news

took a while, but done

> Now check out your /etc/news/leafnode/config file, adjust the two
> mandatory lines at the beginning. All the options are self-explanatory, I
> think.
>
> As root do /usr/sbin/fetchnews -vv   That will bring down the list of
> current newsgroups from your server (a 2Mb download, probably)

done. However the info must be somewhere as it only collects any new
groups and is done in a few seconds. In previous attempts there were
long downloads but then as I wrote, the info evaporated and I could
not find it.

> ,----
> | SLRN
> `----

$ slrn

Right. but no groups. Big L, a * for all, and nothing shows.

I look in /var/spool/news but fail to find any news. There

--
Ian Balchin
http://www.imaginet.co.za/fables