Re: some problems with gnome

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 07:52:01PM +0100, Raphaël Scateni wrote:
| Hi,
| I am running debian woody, with gnome 1.4
| When launching gnome, i have a message

How are you launching gnome?  Via 'startx' or gdm?

| Desk guide alert
|    gnome desktop guide
|    you are running a gnome compliant window manager
|   gnome support by the window manager is strongly recommended for proper
| desk guide operation.

This means you are running a window manager that doesn't know about
gnome's features.  (if you have no window manager running, it
qualifies ;-))

| Moreover, some details are strange :
| -my mouse pointer is always a cross
| -i can't fiw a backgroung picture (i just have a black and white backgroung
| like this one of the starting)
| -i can't move the windows on the desktop

Likely you aren't running any window manager yet.

| -i don't have icons on the desktop

This is a 'gmc' thing -- I hate them (RH puts them there) and
fortunately I don't have it in Debian ;-).

| -i have hardly anything in the startup menu, whereas lots of programs are
| installed

I don't know why this is, but I rarely use the foot menu anyways.

I'm going to take a guess that you don't have a window manager
installed on your system.  Start by 'apt-get install sawfish-gnome'.
Once you have it installed, start up gnome again.  If you still get
the message and can't move windows around, go to a terminal and run
"sawfish".  Then be sure and select it in the Gnome Control Center so
that it will be choosen next time.  Close GNOME and start it again.

Failure is not an option.  It is bundled with the software.