Re: some problems with gnome

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 07:52:01PM +0100, Raphaël Scateni wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I am running debian woody, with gnome 1.4
| When launching gnome, i have a message

How are you launching gnome?  Via 'startx' or gdm?

| Desk guide alert
|    gnome desktop guide
|    you are running a gnome compliant window manager
|   gnome support by the window manager is strongly recommended for proper
| desk guide operation.

This means you are running a window manager that doesn't know about
gnome's features.  (if you have no window manager running, it
qualifies ;-))

| Moreover, some details are strange :
| -my mouse pointer is always a cross
| -i can't fiw a backgroung picture (i just have a black and white backgroung
| like this one of the starting)
| -i can't move the windows on the desktop

Likely you aren't running any window manager yet.

| -i don't have icons on the desktop

This is a 'gmc' thing -- I hate them (RH puts them there) and
fortunately I don't have it in Debian ;-).

| -i have hardly anything in the startup menu, whereas lots of programs are
| installed

I don't know why this is, but I rarely use the foot menu anyways.

I'm going to take a guess that you don't have a window manager
installed on your system.  Start by 'apt-get install sawfish-gnome'.
Once you have it installed, start up gnome again.  If you still get
the message and can't move windows around, go to a terminal and run
"sawfish".  Then be sure and select it in the Gnome Control Center so
that it will be choosen next time.  Close GNOME and start it again.
Solved?

-D

--

Failure is not an option.  It is bundled with the software.