Re: www forward with bind

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Alan James wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 05:00:28PM +0100, Sebastiaan wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have tried various variations in the zone files, like:
> > www             IN      CNAME	www.me.provider.com.
> >
> > but I have not gotten it to work.
> That should work, sort of. Assuming the ret of bind is set up ok
> then resolving the www address should give you the ip of your
> provider.
> However if your website is a virtual host, then your http queries
> will be asking for an invalid website. The browser passes the domain
> name as part of the http request and www.domain.com wont be recognised
> by the provider.com webserver. Could that be the problem ?
> If not, you'll have to supply more details of what goes wrong.
Yes, I was a little bit short. My /var/log/daemon.log nags me when
restarting bind with:
named[5031]: www.sacred-key.org has CNAME and other  data (invalid)
named[5031]: /etc/bind/db.sacred-key:21:www.sacred-key.org: CNAME and OTHER data error
named[5031]: master zone "sacred-key.org" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 2002030108)
named[5031]: master zone "123.163.62.in-addr.arpa" (IN) loaded (serial 2002030102)

My db.sacred-key is (relevant part, AFAICT):
                IN      NS      ns1.sacred-key.org.
                IN      MX  25  mail.sacred-key.org.
                IN      MX  50  mail.chello.nl.
                IN      A
ns              IN      A
ns1             IN      A
www             IN      CNAME   www.cosjoan.box.nl.

and the website is a virtual host, the page is located at

In the past we used a free url forwarder on the web, which was integrated
in this way:
www           IN      NS      www-dns
www-dns               IN      A

with the DNS server of the forwarder. Worked perfectly, but
the service stopped.

Thanks in advance,