FQDN foobar

Hi!

I have a problem with the way gethostname() and getdomainname (don't)
 work on Debian.

gethostname() returns the hostname, not qualified. Ok, this is as
 expected, as there's the complementary getdomainname()-function. But
 that gets its information out of /proc/sys/kernel/domainname, which
 isn't filled from the start-up-process, so contains only the
 kernel-default of "(none)".

The installer asks for the domainname, but doesn't seem to store it
 anywhere, and uses it only for resolv.conf and mail-configuration.

Am I completely off-track with this, and there's another way to get the
 FQDN "the right way", or is this some serious brain-damage in the
 installation-process and a bug (against which package?) should be
 filed?

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /