Re: no mouse in console

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:05:14PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Managed to get a fresh install of woody running but have no mouse in
> console mode. Mouse works in X.
>
> I remember being asked where the mouse was and choosing psaux.  It was
> just a guess.

= a PS/2 mouse. Most mice seem to be nowadays.

> How can I debug this? The gpm man page isn't particularly helpfull.

Usually, when people want to use the mouse on the console (as opposed to
under X), I recommend the following setup:

    - set up gpm to read from the real mouse device (/dev/psaux in your
      case)
    - set up gpm to repeat in "raw" mode
    - set up X to read from /dev/gpmdata (which really is a pipe) rather
      than the real mouse device.

I would argue that unless you *need* the mouse in console mode, don't
bother with gpm, and let X read straight from /dev/psaux. Less software
involved, less to break. And since you already have the mouse working in
X, I'm reluctant to ask you to change anything in there. Get the
important stuff working first.

> I do see /var/run/gpm.pid.  But have no mouse.

Then it sounds like gpm isn't running.

HTH
--
Karl E. Jørgensen