Re: dpkg - the letter prefixes.. what do they mean

This isn't the official word.

first column = what to do
i = install
u =uninstall
r = remove
p = purge

second column = actual state
i = installed
n = not installed

ii = installed and will stay installed
un = not installed and won't be
[rp]n = was installed but removed or purged

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:40:44PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> dpkg -l '*desk*' shows a series of hits, all are preceded by
> `un'

none of these are currently installed or marked by you as install
candidates

> dpkg -l 'gnome*' shows a number of things some are proceeded by
> ii and some by un.
>
> Where does on look to find out what these letters mean.  I went thru
> man dpkg several times looking for some referrence.  A grep with `ii'
> gets no hits.  dpkg --help doesn't appear to make any mention.

try the dselect man page

Bob