Re: question about ifup and ifconfig

    "Ren" == Ren Weili <renweili@csvw.com> writes:

    Ren> hallo, what is the diference between ifup and ifconfig?  how
    Ren> can ifconfig bring up eth0 use dhcp?

ifconfig is used to configure network interfaces.

ifup reads /etc/networks/interfaces and do a bunch of things that
would take a lot of ifconfigs and some other stuff.

For example, my laptop has the following interfaces file

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The built in ethernet interface
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# PCMCIA card
iface eth1 inet dhcp

You probably want to change 'auto lo' to 'auto lo eth0' if you always
want the dhcp address on startup.

Cheers!
Shyamal