Fresh install no network

I had hoped the install routine would find my nic and know what to
load but as I went thru the initial install, it wasn't found.  Any
attempt to select something from the module list for net, failed.

I'm not real sure what card is in there but its one of the commaon
3com cards.  I had hoped some kind of probe would find it and I
wouldn't have to tear things up to find my original box etc. or open
the case to get it.  This case is in a inconvenient spot.

I'm at the stage now where the initial system is intalled and I've
rebooted ... setting at the config screen for basic stuff.

What is the best way, with least hair pulling to get the nic setup?
I'll check dmesg once bootup is complete.

Oh and I lied a bit about being at the config screen, I will be
shortly but I choose to make a floppy and boot that way since I have
solaris installed on First Master disk, and wasn't sure I wouldn't
scrub its boot loader or something by tinkering with lilo.

I'll get to that later, but I notice the boot floppy takes an awfull
long time, like 4-7 minutes.  Seems an awkful lot even for a floppy boot.
Would that be an indication of some kind of trouble?

Eventhough I've installed several flavors of linux and 2 bsds, as well
as a couple of regular unix's, I could use a little hand holding thru
the rest of the install.  Especially getting network enabled.

I can dig up the exact info on my hardware but it will be some serious
digging and I'd sooner avoid spending the time on that.

The machine is an Athlon Tbird 1.3 ghz and a common 3com nic.