Re: ATI RADEON 7500 and X problem

On Tue, 2002-02-26 at 18:09, Stephan Hachinger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> A friend of mine (not on this list) has problems getting X version
> 4.1.0 (from testing) to start on his box with a Radeon 7500 card
> inside. When trying xf86cfg in graphics mode, it doesn't recognize
> the card correctly, and when choosing the drivers "ati" or "r128" in
> xf86cfg text mode, X won't recognize the card either. I've attached
> two different error logs from tries with different drivers or so.
>
> Has anyone got a radeon (7500) running on such a system and does know
> what the typical problems are or how they can be solved or can anyone
> point me to one of the various threads which have been on this list
> about radeon (I just don't know when these threads were here)? Or can
> anyone tell me if the xserver_2.log is indeed indicating a bug in
> X11?

Ive got a Radeon VE running on my system.  And all that is is a modified
Radeon 7500 with some extra ports.  I have the testing version of X
running on it just fine.  Here is a few parts of my XF86Config-4 file.

Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"pex5"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
	Load	"xie"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"ATI Radeon VE"
	Driver		"ati"
EndSection

This works just fine and was set up by dexconf.  You should do a dpkg
--reconfigure of the X project.  This is what I have working.  You
should also make sure that your not using the frame buffer.  When I was
trying to use the frame buffer it didnt work.  So make sure it is
disabled.  Other than that you should be good.

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu