Re: exim and printer answers

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 08:45:20AM -0800, paul wrote:
> pritner is hp  laserjet 4 plus or hplaserjet4plus
> with no postscript.There is ghostscript installed

Okee, then you need a filter that turns postcript into PCL using ghostscript...

> > of it to your next post?  The file I refer to is:
> >
> >  	/etc/magicfilter/hp4000t-filter

...so the above file is not the one you need!
In /etc/printcap change it to:

 	/etc/magicfilter/ljet4-filter

And check that that file exists with:

# ls /etc/magicfilter/ljet4-filter

***** Checking the printer device *****

> > > Commands:
> > > cat filename > /dev/lp0
> > > works but no cr or lf

So `cat filename > /dev/lp0' still works?
But the following failed?  Strange.

> >     # cat << EOF > /dev/lp0
> >     > a very short line
> >     > a second line
> >     > a final line
> >     > << EOF

Then try:
# cat << EOF > /tmp/short
a very short line
a second line
a final line
EOF

This should create a short file named /tmp/short, check it with:
# cat /tmp/short

And next try to print it with

# cat /tmp/short >/dev/lp0

> > This should produce output like:
> >
> >     a very short line
> >                      a second line
> >                                   a final line

And see what happens:)

**** Checking the printer daemon ****

> >    # ps ax | grep lp
> >
> > There should be a line with `lpd' in it.
>
> /usr/sbin/lpd

Okee, so you have a printer daemon, that's the program other programs
normally ask to take care of the printing.

**** Exim intermezzo ****

> > > files commented:
> > > /etc/exim.conf
> > > /etc/mailname
> >
> > I really don't understand what you mean with `file
> > commented'.
> > Please be more specific.
> > Commented refers to putting a "#" mark. In this case
> the tech changed the names and gave them ff extetion
> which makes it easy to find

Okee, now I understand.  Stupid tech-man, both files are needed
so better move them back in place:

# cd /etc
# mv exim.conf.ff exim.conf
# mv mailname.ff mailname

To prevent exim sending mail to your ips we need to reconfigure exim.
Better start a new thread (that's a series of email/news exchanges all
with the same subject) and post a new email with a subject like

   Subject: Exim sending printjobs to my IPS

and ask for help reconfiguring exim. I'll lookout for it, and probably
others will join in that discussion.

For the discuccion at hand in this thread, it would be nice if you
could share the message send to your ips, or at least the bounced
message.

> > And if so, it just means your email isn't set up
> > properly either.
> > Can you send email locally from one user to an other
> > on your own
> > machine?
> Yes netscape mail works and Kmail works. No other
> programs installed at present.

Those two programs probably take care of email to/from the web.
Local mail is a different thing.  But let's discuss that in the
thread titled:   Exim sending printjobs to my IPS

**** Checking the printer package ****

> >    # dpkg -s lpr | head -n 2
> lpr installed ok
>
> >    # dpkg -s lprng | head -n 2
> npring not installed
>
> >    # dpkg -s magicfilter | head -n 2
> installed ok
>
> >    # dpkg -s cups | head -n 2
> not installed
>
> >    # dpkg -s cupssys | head -n 2
> not installed

...Okee so you have BSD like lpd installed and magicfilter.
Magicfilter wasn't installed correctly.  Wait, don't uninstall it,
but instead change /etc/printcap as I outlined above.  So just
change the name `hp4000t-filter' to `ljet4-filter'.

The next thing to know is whether lpd was installed correctly. Atleast
there should be a command called `lp', check whether it is there with:

# type lp

This should tell you where the `lp' program is located.
[ Other printer packages use `lpr', but IIRQ BSD uses `lp' ]

> I hope this gives some clues.

It takes time, but we're closing in:)

--
groetjes, carel