Re: exim and printer answers

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 04:41:41AM -0800, paul wrote:
> I hope this answers the questions.
> Printer is hplaserjet4plus

I think there are versions of this printer that are capable of doing
Postscript them selves.  Does this printer has the Postscript addon?
Or do you have the full HP name for it?

> Old and new printcap as one file

What do you mean `as one file'?  Oh, and could you sprinkle in some
empty lines, makes reading so much easier.

> #PRINTCAP
> # Copyright (c) 1983 Regents of the University of
> California.

I see you're editor has wrapped lines.  A good thing in general, but
awfull when sending configuration files, as there layout matters.
So make sure you don't automatically wrap when sending config files,
or send them as attachement.  I'll just assume that all the lines
that look funny are actually wrapped.

> #lp|hplj4l|hplaserjet4plus:
> lp|hp4:\
> 	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
> 	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
> 	:if=/etc/magicfilter/hp4000t-filter:\

I've magicfilter on Potato too, but the above file is unknown on my
machine.  Who put it there, and what's in it?  Could you attach a copy
of it to your next post?  The file I refer to is:

 	/etc/magicfilter/hp4000t-filter

When you give a print command, this file determines what to do, so it's
quit crucial that its content is correct and fits your printer.

> #	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hplj4l:\
> #	:if=/etc/magicfilter/hjet4-filter:\

These lines are commented out, but still the file name here seems
strange.  more likely that it should read :

        #	:if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4-filter:\

This would be the proper filter file for a laserjet 4 without postscript.

> Commands:
> cat filename > /dev/lp0
> works but no cr or lf

No lf are you sure?  Dit you try very short lines?  Try as root (the
leading spaces are here to make it stand out in the post and '# ' and
`> ' are computer prompts, ignore those; the rest has to be typed by you):

    # cat << EOF > /dev/lp0
    > a very short line
    > a second line
    > a final line
    > << EOF

This should produce output like:

    a very short line
                     a second line
                                  a final line

If so, this means
  a) your printer is working
  b) your printer needs filtering (magicfilter) to get ride ot the
     stair-case effect shown above

> lp filename
> command not found
> lpr filename lpr not found
> lp -Plp (found in netscape only)
> sh  lp not found

The above three commands failing means you don't have a printer daemon
installed. Please give the output of the following command:

   # ps ax | grep lp

There should be a line with `lpd' in it.

> files commented:
> /etc/exim.conf
> /etc/mailname

I really don't understand what you mean with `file commented'.
Please be more specific.

> when taken out mail no longer is sent to lp@isp.net

Now that I think of it, what was in those emails?
Just a message to tell that the printer isn't working?
And if so, it just means your email isn't set up properly either.
Can you send email locally from one user to an other on your own
machine?

> log file now says can't open exim.

Okee, so let me guess: you renamed `/etc/exim.conf' to something else
so exim can't start anymore?

> I don't know how to use vi to get the last 10 lines

To get the last 10 lines of the log:

   # tail -n 10 /var/log/syslog

> exim is in /usr/sbin/exim (machine language)
> I can't find a reference to exim in /var/spool/lpd

exim is the mail transport agent, it looks after getting mail out
of your machine or delivered locally. It has no knowledge of printers
what so ever.  But it's quit possible that the printer daemon sends
emails to root to tell him of failures.

> I don't think dselect is working at full blast but
> here is what I got
> dselect lp   unknown action string
> dselect lpr  unknown action string
> dselect lprng unknown action string

Well, that's not how you're supposed to use dselect.
Did you install Debian GNU/Linux yourself?
Anyhow, the info I needed can be obtained by the following commands:

   # dpkg -s lpr | head -n 2
   # dpkg -s lprng | head -n 2
   # dpkg -s magicfilter | head -n 2
   # dpkg -s cups | head -n 2
   # dpkg -s cupssys | head -n 2

> I am willing to hire a paid expert but no one wants to
> touch the printer problem.

Strange, as that is not really a though problem.
To bad you don't live in my town:)

--
groetjes, carel