Re: Fresh install no network

High,

On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I had hoped the install routine would find my nic and know what to
> load but as I went thru the initial install, it wasn't found.  Any
> attempt to select something from the module list for net, failed.
>
> I'm not real sure what card is in there but its one of the commaon
> 3com cards.  I had hoped some kind of probe would find it and I
> wouldn't have to tear things up to find my original box etc. or open
> the case to get it.  This case is in a inconvenient spot.

Most 3com cards are supported, but you have to load the driver yourself.
Best way is to look what the card says. Then start 'modconf' as root, and
browse to the network card interfaces.

Note: the 3c905 series need the 3c59x driver to get to work.

> I'm at the stage now where the initial system is intalled and I've
> rebooted ... setting at the config screen for basic stuff.
>
> What is the best way, with least hair pulling to get the nic setup?
> I'll check dmesg once bootup is complete.

to check if the driver loaded succesfully, type:
lsmod	to see if the module is loaded correctly
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up	to give the card
an ip. If all works correct (i.e. you can ping other hosts in your
network), edit /etc/network/interfaces (man interfaces) to automize these
settings.

> I can dig up the exact info on my hardware but it will be some serious
> digging and I'd sooner avoid spending the time on that.

because there is little to none auto hardware detection in Debian, looking
on the chip or card is usually the best way to figure out what kind of
hardware it is.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan